Winter is here! The world around us is seen in shrugs & rugs, gloves & shoes, shivers & campfires, dehydrated skin & chapped lips. Huh! After all, they are winter things. Don’t you agree? During winter, we capture beautiful moments and make memories in nature, and the ambiance outdoors draws us to step out of our homes. But this might cause frostbite and make your skin dry and lifeless. To have healthy skin, follow a winter skincare routine tailored to your skin type.
Winter Skincare Routine For Different Skin Types
As the weather gets colder, it’s time you change your daily skincare routine. Refrain from the feeling “one-fits-for-all” formula works for your skin because everyone has different skin types and, thus, has specific requirements. So, know your skin type and follow the winter-specific skincare routine that complements your skin needs.
1. Winter Skincare Routine For Oily Skin:
Oily skin needs extra care in the winter as it is prone to acne and breakouts. Usually, our skin is dehydrated during the winter, and to keep it hydrated, the skin cells produce excess oil that could damage your skin. To avoid damaging their skin, people with oily skin should adopt the following winter skincare routine.
- Morning exfoliation works wonders on oily skin. Scrub the face and body gently with a water-based and Vitamin E-based exfoliator. This removes excess oil from the skin and also moisturizes it. To get the ideal results, do it 2-3 times a week.
- Cleansing your skin twice a day is essential to reduce oil secretions. Use an oil-absorbing deep cleanser that is water-based or gel-based, filled with salicylic acid and Vitamin C. The cleanser washes out the excess oil, dirt, and impurities from the pores.
- Add a toner to moisturize your skin. Select the toner with glycolic acid and lactic acid formula to balance your skin’s pH and unclog the pores.
- Moisturize your skin twice a day with a gentle, Hyaluronic acid-based moisturizer. This retains the water in the skin and reduces dryness and excess oil production.
- Use eye creams, lip balms, face masks, sunscreens, face oils, and serums to protect skin from the harshness of winter.
2. Winter Skincare Routine For Dry Skin:
People with dry skin fall prey to the cold winters. Dry skin barely produces natural oil and stays less hydrated. The dry air in the winter absorbs the little moisture and oils present in the skin, turning it into itchy, extra dry, flaky, scaly, rough, dull, and cracked skin. So if you have dry skin, you must take a lil’ extra care in winter. But no worries! Follow this winter skincare routine to get glowing skin –
- Start cleansing your skin with a gentle, nourishing, hydrating, non-foaming, creamy, and jelly cleanser. It soothes and hydrates the skin with its replenishing oils and avoids over-dryness.
- Use Vitamin C and Hyaluronic acid serum to hydrate and lock moisture in the skin.
- Use alcohol-free, antioxidant-rich toner to restore pH levels in the skin.
- Moisturization is the key to enjoying winters, even with dry skin. Use Intense repair, creamy, and oil-rich moisturizers with Vitamin E, antioxidants, Glycerin, and Hyaluronic acid. Apply in required quantities on clean skin, and be bold to overdo moisturizing.
- Use eye creams, lip balms, hydrating sheet masks, sunscreens, cocoa butter, and shower gels for better results.
- Do exfoliation with Glycolic acid and aloe hydrating formula-based scrub to remove all the dead cells, impurities, and dirt from the skin. Scrub gently. Do not rub; just pat ( 2-3 times a month).
Related Articles: 5 Best Ways Of Removing Makeup Without Damaging Your Skin
3. Winter Skincare Routine For Normal Skin:
Normal skin is neither too oily nor too dry, as the pH level and oil production are well-balanced in these skin types. There is no strict or extreme winter skincare routine for people with normal skin. Following a few steps with a little tweak to their usual routine can be beneficial.
- Start with a gentle and powerful cleanser that can remove dirt, debris, and impurities from the skin. Rub gently and wash off with lukewarm water; thus, the skin will not dry. Remember! The cleanser should be ideal for any skin type.
- Use a toner to stabilize the skin’s pH levels to remove the excess and stubborn dirt from the skin pores. This helps stop the overproduction of sebum in cold weather.
- Treat the skin with a serum that makes the skin soft & supple. Choose a serum having Vitamin C & E with Hyaluronic acid.
- It’s time for the crucial step in the winter skincare routine – Moisturize. Apply a light moisturizer for mornings and a thick moisturizer for nights. Moisturizers lock the moisture and hydrate the skin to prevent it from drying.
- Never skip sunscreens. Protect your skin with facial oil and lip balm, and give extra care to the eye area.
- Exfoliate once or twice a week with a gentle or natural exfoliator to remove dead skin cells.
Winter Skincare Tips
Our skin needs extra care during the cold months. Follow these tips to keep your skin healthy and hydrated.
- Choose a Nutritious Diet – Eating healthy with the right skincare routine is the formula to get soft and supple skin in winter.
- Stay Hydrated – Drink adequate water as the weather absorbs moisture from your skin and makes it dry.
- Avoid Hot Water Showers – Hot water can strip off the upper layers of skin along with its natural oils. This leaves skin more pale, chapped, dull, and flaky. Always try to shower with lukewarm water.
- Use Humidifier – Humidifiers add moisture to the air, retain moisture in the skin, and are a lifesaver in the winter.
- Protect & Cover Your Skin – Cover yourself with sweaters, gloves, boots, and other winter outfits. They keep you warm and protect you from the external air that can wick off the moisture from your skin.
- Don’t Forget Eyes, Lips & Limbs – Your eyes, lips, and limbs need extra care and protection from the harsh winter winds as they are the most exposed body parts. Keep them moisturized and hydrated.
- Be Consistent – Stay consistent with your winter skincare regime. This could help your skin stay healthy and hydrated.
Don’t let the cold weather ruin your beauty. Stay hydrated and follow the winter skincare routine to get flawless skin.
Related Article: 6 Natural Ways to Get Wrinkle-Free Skin